Thursday, May 19, 2005

Wine: or how I got screwed (click here)

What's Missing in this Picture? Posted by Hello


Two things are missing. First, the wine. I drank it all last night. Second and more surprising, the cork! As you can see from the picture, the winemaker is being awfully deceiving. It appears that the bottle has a cork. But no! It is a screw top.

My mother-in-law informed me that many of the big wine producers are now using twist-off tops rather than corks. What's up with this? And how do I feel about it? I'm not sure yet. Only a few things play into my wine-choosing decisions:
  • I really never buy wine that costs more than $10. I'm no afficianado, and for under $10 you rarely find bottles that are undrinkable, so why pay more?
  • The aesthetics of the bottle always interest me. It may not be wise to judge a book by it's cover, but I will judge my wine (in part) by the lable. And I always read the story on the back of the bottle.
  • The name of the wine plays a big part. My mother-in-law and I bought Mad Dogs and Englishmen because it was called Mad Dogs and Englishmen. And we enjoyed it, and we will buy it again. The wine in question last night was called Big House Red. Lovely, don't you think?
  • I dislike Chardonnay a great deal and therefore will never buy it. I will never drink it. I would rather drink boxed wine out of a paper cup.
So now I have to decide between corked v. screwed? Based on last night's bottle, I can assure you, oh ravishing and loyal blog reader, that I will get screwed again.

No comments: